Norway is a unique travel destination. You can get sunburnt on sub-zero winter days and drenched in the middle of summer. Make sure you're fully kitted out and prepared with our guide to the best travel gear for a Norwegian vacation.
The most suitable luggage depends on your plans. Will you sticking to the cities and/or a car, or will you be heading out into the mountains?
- Suitcase: A sturdy suitcase is a must for long-haul travel. Luggage doesn't come much better than this 3-piece Samsonite set, available in a range of colours.
- Hiking backpack: If you're hiking or camping, a backpack designed for those activities is a must. The 50L Outdoor Master comes with a waterproof cover suitable for heavy rain.
- Daily backpack: For exploring the Norwegian cities or taking with you on a road trip, the OXA vintage canvas bag is a great, stylish choice.
- Money belt: Even though Norway is a safe country, a secure money belt with RFID protection is a sensible idea.LuggageThe most suitable luggage depends on your plans. Will you sticking to the cities and/or a car, or will you be heading o
Most people see a Scandinavian vacation as a chance for a digital detox, but there's no doubt that a few gadgets will add value to your vacation and even help you out in an emergency.
- Camera: DSLR cameras take terrific images but they are bulky and awkward to bring with you on a long trip. The Samsung NX3000 compact camera is an ideal alternative.
- Smartphone charger: The modern must-have gadget for all travellers! This handy portable device will keep your smartphone charged when you are out and about.
- GPS navigator: A potential lifesaver if you get lost in the mountains, this GPS receiver with HotFix and GLONASS support gives fast positioning and a reliable signal, wherever you are.
Layering your clothing is the key to keeping warm and dry in Scandinavia, whatever the season. Underwear made of merino wool is a great choice during the autumn, winter and spring, while a waterproof outer-layer and sturdy footwear are essential items all year round.
- Woollen base layer: High-grade merino wool is a light, stretchy material that regulates core protection and helps prevent body odour. Available for both men and women.
- Woollen gloves: Leaving your hands exposed is a surefire way to feel the chill on a boat trip or on high ground. Available for both men and women.
- Waterproof jacket: Protect yourself from sudden rainstorms (they happen, even during the summer!) with a quality Helly Hansen rain jacket. Available for both men and women.
- Woollen socks: Keep warm and dry with unisex People Socks, part-made with merino wool.
General travel gear
- Travel pillow: Essential for long-haul flights but also very handy on Norway's trains and buses, a travel pillow will ensure you arrive at your destination rested and raring to go.
- Notebook: Be inspired by your surroundings and write stories, poetry, or simply keep notes about your trip with a quality travel notebook.
- Travel insurance: Don't travel to Norway without comprehensive cover, especially if you plan on hiking or skiing. Check out our guide to travel insurance.
- eReader: Leave your books at home and save space in your luggage for souvenirs! A Kindle Paperwhite holds thousands of books and the battery lasts for weeks between charges.
- eBooks: Fill up your eReader of choice with a great selection of books about Norway to inform, inspire and entertain.
Life in Norway is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and the Amazon EU Associates Program, affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk.