Narrow fjords cutting into steep mountains, clifftop farmhouses, slender waterfalls and immense glaciers are just some of the highlights of Norway's vast fjord region.
What's the first thing that comes into your mind when you hear the word “Norway”? I'd wager that if it's not the northern lights, it's the world-famous fjords. They are world-famous with good reason. National Geographic and Lonely Planet have gushed about them, and even Disney were inspired by them.
How to visit the fjords
The Norwegian fjords are unlike many other destinations. Contrary to popular belief, they are not just located in the west of the country near Bergen. You can find fjords all along the coastline. This means that unlike a city break where you can book a hotel, arrive and just wander around, a trip to the fjords requires a bit more planning in advance.
By public transport, the UNESCO-listed Nærøyfjord is easy to access from Oslo or Bergen via the famous railway that links the two cities. The equally impressive Flåm Railway transports you from Myrdal station on the mainline down the lush valley to the fjordside Flåm village. From here, ferries take passengers on a cruise along the impressive Aurlandsfjord and Nærøyfjord.
With a car, the world-famous Geirangerfjord and nearby Hjørundfjord are within easy reach of Ålesund. Further north, the epic Sognefjord, the country's deepest and longest fjord, is surrounded by interesting towns, stave churches, mountains and vast glaciers.
Beyond the fjords
The region is about much more than just the fjords. You'll also find the thriving city of Bergen, an international vibe in Stavanger, and beautiful art nouveau architecture in Ålesund. Some other highlights to consider including on your itinerary include:
- The Atlantic Road & island of Averøy
- The Åndalsnes region including Trollstigen
- A road trip around Fjord Norway
Before you visit the fjords, here's a quick checklist of important things:
- Guidebook: The Moon Norway guidebook is the most up-to-date on the market
- Accommodation: Book your hotel in advance and save money
- Car Hire: Secure the best availability and rates by reserving your car in advance
- Insurance: Don't run the risk of travelling to Norway without adequate cover
- VPN: Secure your smartphone's internet connection while you travel
- Tours & activities: Save money by pre-booking tours & activities