Life in Norway is an expat blog and information guide for English speakers living and working in Norway, and those who want to make the move. It’s written for foreigners, by foreigners.
We cover everything from learning the language to the best new music, trying the food and explaining the cultural quirks we encounter. We regularly interview people – both Norwegians and fellow expats – with an interesting story to tell.
Originally the personal blog of British freelance writer David Nikel, Life in Norway now features articles from all across the country: Oslo, Bergen, Trondheim, Stavanger and the Arctic, written by people originally from England, Scotland, the USA, Mexico and Ecuador.
David remains on board as Editor-in-Chief, so please get in touch with him if there’s anything you’d like to know, or you’d like to contribute an article.
We also publish the Norway Traveller blog, perfect for those planning a trip to Scandinavia.
Hi! Originally from the UK, I now work for myself as a freelance journalist and consultant in beautiful Trondheim.
I moved to Norway in 2011 almost by accident. As an IT contractor I was lucky enough to be offered several jobs abroad and I couldn’t resist the lure of Scandinavia.
After a while, the same questions kept popping up:
“What is Norway really like?”
“What are Norwegians like?”
“Does everyone has blonde hair and blue eyes?”
“Is it really that expensive?”
And so, Life in Norway was born!
It started off as a simple personal blog. As more and more people became interested in my stories, thoughts and observations, I expanded the site to include several other voices. You won’t find a more diverse collection of writers anywhere online! The success of this website was a contributing factor in me quitting my job to launch a freelance career.
If you’d like to make a suggestion or write an article, please do get in touch.
The Best of Life in Norway
The trouble with blogs is some of the best content can disappear into the archives, never to be seen again. I did a quick count and realised something shocking… since starting Life in Norway back in April 2011, I’ve published over 350 posts! As much as I’d love it if you read all of those, I thought it would be useful to round-up what I consider to be the best posts, right here, to bring you up to speed.
Thanks… and enjoy 🙂
My story so far
- Hello and Goodbye – the very first post
- Turning 30 – growing up!
- A Personal Update – my decision to extend my stay in Norway
- Goodbye Job & Goodbye Oslo – moving to Trondheim after 2 years in Oslo
My (old) life in Oslo
- Exploring Oslo’s Great Outdoors – getting to know the outdoor life
- My First Ice Hockey Experience – watching a new sport
- A Stroll Around Kampen – Oslo’s wooden village
My (new) life in Trondheim
- An Afternoon in Røros – a stunning example of heritage tourism
- The Breathtaking Beauty of Fjord Norway – overwhelming
- Polar Nights in Tromsø – charmed in the arctic darkness
- The Winter Olympic Town of Lillehammer – sporting history
- Lost in the Mountains – my breathtaking trip to Geitfjellet
Understanding Norwegians and the lifestyle
- 26 Things I Learned from a Year in Norway – my favourite post
- Happy Birthday Norway – celebrating the national day
- The Norwegian Bread Belly – a diet problem
- Your Favourite Norwegian Words – you tell me