Life in Norway is a blog for those interested to know what it’s really like to live and work in Norway. It’s written for foreigners by foreigners. We cover everything from learning the language to the best new music, places to visit and the food, drink and cultural quirks we encounter. We regularly interview people – both Norwegians and fellow expats – with an interesting story to tell.
Originally the personal blog of British freelance writer David Nikel, Life in Norway now features articles from all across the country: Oslo, Bergen, Trondheim, Stavanger and the Arctic, written by people originally from England, Scotland, the USA, Mexico and Ecuador.
David remains on board as Editor-in-Chief, so please get in touch with him if there’s anything you’d like to know, or you’d like to contribute an article.
The Best of Life in Norway
The trouble with blogs is some of the best content can disappear into the archives, never to be seen again. I did a quick count and realised something shocking… since starting Life in Norway back in April 2011, I’ve published over 300 posts! As much as I’d love it if you read all of those, I thought it would be useful to round-up what I consider to be the best posts, right here, to bring you up to speed.
Thanks… and enjoy
My story so far
- Hello and Goodbye – the very first post
- Turning 30 – growing up!
- A Personal Update – my decision to extend my stay in Norway
- Goodbye Job & Goodbye Oslo – moving to Trondheim after 2 years in Oslo
My (old) life in Oslo
- Exploring Oslo’s Great Outdoors – getting to know the outdoor life
- My First Ice Hockey Experience – watching a new sport
- A Stroll Around Kampen – Oslo’s wooden village
My (new) life in Trondheim
- An Afternoon in Røros – a stunning example of heritage tourism
- The Breathtaking Beauty of Fjord Norway – overwhelming
- Polar Nights in Tromsø – charmed in the arctic darkness
- The Winter Olympic Town of Lillehammer – sporting history
- Lost in the Mountains – my breathtaking trip to Geitfjellet
Understanding Norwegians and the lifestyle
- 26 Things I Learned from a Year in Norway – my favourite post
- Happy Birthday Norway – celebrating the national day
- The Norwegian Bread Belly – a diet problem
- Your Favourite Norwegian Words – you tell me
- A Postcard from Gothenburg – a hop over the Swedish border
- A Postcard from Helsinki – my first visit to the Finnish capital
- Winter Sun – escaping the darkness on the Canary Islands
- A Postcard from Riga – my first visit to Latvia